Alternative music reviews

March 23, 2008

Dub Sex

Filed under: nostalgia,vinyl — @ 11:45 pm Comments (9)

It is very difficult to get any information about Dub Sex on the Internet. I think I first saw them in London at the Fulham Greyhound. It was a typical Alternative venue with painted black walls and a four foot stage defining a mosh pit. Staring up at Mark Hoyle (guitar/vocals) I could see the sweat dripping off him. His voice was an impassioned shout to pay attention to the world. Anger, despair and endless questioning were big with me at the time (and probably still are). I may have missed out on seeing Joy Division (no buses or trains back from Birmingham that night of what turned out to the final gig) but I had seen the only band that approached them in terms of sheer intensity and original punk ethic.

By the time I moved to Manchester, Dub Sex had become Dumb – adding a second drummer to increase the rhythmic attack. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks – did Cathy, the bassist, cycle to India before Dumb were formed? Hard to say, other than this was the band that defined everything that I wanted from the city. Finally I had found the place I still regard as home, and here was a band that explored any demons that I still held. Having never successfully rid myself of (originally adolescent) angst, I found it expressed perfectly.

But I guess I did grow up a bit. I finally found some friends I could feel comfortable with. I could belong somewhere at last. The effect of Dub Sex and Dumb would never leave me. Even now I can listen to Kicking The Corpse Around and feel my foot reaching for the accelerator to take the car up to maximum speed when the words cut in of “I tasted decay in the seconds it takes to make a mess on the motorway.”

Are they the forgotten Manchester band? Not for me.

Kicking The Corpse Around by Dub Sex

Kicking The Corpse Around by Dub Sex

Dub Sex / Dumb on MySpace

9 Comments

1. Swerve is as good as anything ever written by anyone. They can die happy knowing they touched greatness which is more than most people ever do.

Comment by Derek Dubplate — August 1, 2009 @ 7:34 pm

2. I agree Derek. And seeing them live is up there with Nirvana for me

Comment by Cool Noise — August 1, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

3. your all too kind.

Comment by Mark — November 7, 2009 @ 2:51 pm

4. Is that Mark Hoyle? Seeing Dub Sex at The Queen’s Hall in Bradford in 1989 was one of the best gigs in my life. Listening to Swerve live was a wonderful experience!

Comment by Mark the Pharmacist — November 25, 2009 @ 10:55 pm

5. Dub Sex was the first non-school-band concert EVER for me. i think the date was January 05 1988. it left huge impression on me… boy that was the loudest thing i had ever witnessed, and still it was great. I remained hooked to underground music to this day

Comment by MefromGermnay — February 10, 2010 @ 11:49 am

6. Amazed, pleased you’re celebrating Dub Sex. I was a fan, they were great live. I put one of their songs on a flexi with my fanzine ‘Debris’. Peel played it. Happy days.

Comment by Dave Haslam — February 20, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

7. First heard Dumb when Peel played Glued To Your Shoes and I bought the 1st album, could never find out more about them. Checked out Dub Sex via John Robb book ‘Trad Rock’ and knew the voice instantly. Now have 2nd Dumb album, The Underneath & Swerve. Well pleased but need more Dub Sex!

Comment by jez — March 4, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

8. Currently listening to my DubSex 12″ singles.

And to Dave Haslam – Debris was a great little magazine, used to buy it regularly and have still got all those flexi discs. They introduced me to a few bands from that era… World of Twist, Two Thieves and a Liar etc…

Comment by James — August 23, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

9. I have spoken to the lovely lady that played bass and she wants to play again, maybe it will happen one day?

Comment by Carlos — August 30, 2011 @ 8:17 am