Alternative music reviews

March 31, 2008

Dangerous Girls

Filed under: nostalgia,vinyl — @ 6:59 pm Comments (23)

Dangerous GirlsI was never particularly into any Punk bands – exceptions being Alternative TV and Patrik Fitzgerald. The reason I bought the Dangerous Girls single was because they were friends of a friend of a friend. I think I saw them play in Birmingham and this single was a memento of the gig.

One nice thing about going through my vinyl is when I come across something I can barely remember. The b-side I Don’t Want To Eat (With The Family) is typically Punk fodder with the Cockernee ‘fink’ instead of ‘think’ (not part of a Birmingham accent, I believe). The eponymous A-side does sound quite good to my ears. It spends the first three and a half minutes in a slow rhythm but then breaks out into a bit of an enjoyable thrash. I think I have neglected this song unfairly for twenty-eight years.

One nice touch was to see that this was recorded at the same Old Smithy Studos in Kempsey, Worcestershire as Nomad67’s Art Of Individuality album in 2006. Engineered by Muff Murfin who also produced that amazing album so many years later.

Dangerous Girls

Dangerous Girls by Dangerous Girls

23 Comments

1. For more on the current availabilty of Dangerous Girls’ recordings go to :
    It would be extremely biased of me to submit a comment on the actual record as I’m playing on it!!

Comment by Rob Peters — May 14, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

2. Well, I’ll comment!
    I’ve always loved this, and hadn’t heard it in years. Yesterday, I dug it out and played it. Still great! But now I have an i-pod and I desperately want to get it blasting out of my car stereo speakers. What a hassle it is to get the vinyl downloaded to mp3 – but here you’ve done it for me! Hurrah! I can stop searching for phono-to-usb cable!
    The quiet streets of Shrewsbury will ring out with the sound of “Dangerous Girls” as I drive my car through it’s medieval lanes with the windows down. And the kids can F**k off with their crappy, poncy, modern drum and bass s**t.
    Thanks for this marvelous record! My step daughter hates it! Result!

Comment by Milo — June 11, 2008 @ 11:20 pm

3. Milo, you sound like a menace to the young people of Shrewsbury!

Comment by Cool Noise — June 14, 2008 @ 12:04 am

4. I saw the band live at Mr Pickwick’s Club, London Rd, Liverpool. They were supporting Nik Turner’s INNER CITY UNIT. It was a fantastic gig and the Dangerous Girls were the first support band I had ever seen who were actually good, nay, better than good, brilliant. Nice thing was after their set they wandered down into the crowd and got to chat to them. Great bunch. The first single was great, but I prefered the EP with the live tracks on it. Damn shame they never went further!

Comment by Neal — June 30, 2008 @ 8:16 am

5. Hi-I havnt heard this since it was on the Watering Trough Jukebox in Walsall-when I were a lad-dont suppose you can email me the mp3 can you?
    I cant download it for some reason – and it will bring me so much back of my youth!!!
    Many thanks for the memories
    Steve

Comment by Steve Hooper — July 1, 2008 @ 6:28 pm

6. I got my first gig supporting Dangerous Girls when me and my pal came to see them and the support band never turned up. We borrowed their gear and played 6 songs we’d written the week before.

Comment by David — January 8, 2009 @ 4:07 am

7. Aaah! what a wonderful single this was, I saw the band a couple of times in the wolverhampton area, they should have been more popular but somehow never made the breakthrough into the national consciousness

Comment by Jim — February 19, 2009 @ 11:40 pm

8. One of the best gigs I’ve been to was Berkely Free Festival, I think it was around 1979 (thats Berkely in Glos, UK!), the main lineup was Here and Now with Dangerous Girls playing as support. Here and Now delivered a stunning set, and the Girls were something else! Absolutely superb Girls set and highly surreal with some of the festival children dancing on stage with the band. Definitely a night to remember that one!

Comment by Mr H — March 28, 2009 @ 7:07 pm

9. What a song. Reminds me of drinking with my mate before hitting The Afrospot, Dublin’s only alternative at the time. The website mentioned seems to be no lomger in existence so could someone repost/email the song

Comment by WavyGravy — April 15, 2009 @ 12:00 pm

10. Saw them many times in brum, fantastic live. Brilliant time to see local Birmingham bands at that time, Au Pairs, Fashion, The Beat, The Specials, UB40, the Photos, the Quads, Dexys and Steel Pluse just to name a few

Comment by Tomc — April 20, 2009 @ 11:26 pm

11. cant say enough good things about this band….they should have done much more. WHERE IS BEETMOLL??
    Memories of the trent bridge inn nottingham and more beer (and stuff) than i care to remember!

Comment by Rogerd — May 3, 2009 @ 11:45 pm

12. Great to read about the “Girls” again, my fave post punk band, saw them many times around Brum especially remeber gigs at the Golden Eagle where I used to DJ sometimes and at Sutton Coldfield YMCA where we were such fans we booked them for a gig just for us – they were good as gold and played a great set before meeting and chatting to anyone who wanted to. I remember the 3rd 45 (I think” MAN IN THE GLASS getting the thumbs up from John Pwel on Round Table, whilst the others on the panel didn’t get it at all. What happend to the DENIZENS ?

Comment by Pete Psychotron — September 17, 2009 @ 12:29 pm

13. try this link to my fave Dangerous Girls track (all 7 mins of it) DOMESTIC BLISTERS only on a promo casette never out on vinyl / cd

Comment by Pete Psychotron — October 2, 2009 @ 9:37 am

14. Well Steve Hooper do you remember them playing the hall opposite the trough with Bescot Sidings (I assume it was I was a little er.. off my tits

Comment by Dave the Punk — October 14, 2009 @ 7:17 pm

15. The link http://www.waferthin.org/ is shut down
    anyone know where I can get a copy/download?

Comment by Dave the Punk — October 14, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

16. Fantastic band bought the two 7inch singles when they first came out
    just about fell off my seat when I discovered somebody had upped 3 or 4 live gigs by them on bit torrent site Dimeadozen http://www.dimeadozen.org/

Don’t know if they’re still being seeded check it out

cheers

Arf

Comment by Arthur Axident — November 6, 2009 @ 12:05 am

17. Saw Dangerous Girls at Birmingham Uni when I was a student – bought the vinyl 45 that night too. Delighted that a few of you remember them still !

“…when you surrender to the feminine gender it’s a…”

Comment by Mick — December 9, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

18. You can download this band at:
    I like this this band…first track is great.

Comment by Richard — December 24, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

19. if i ever want to dig out a “punk ” record its always this . forever will it stay as my favourite 5 minute and 10 second of fun-ness, delighted too that they are remembered.

Comment by mr galleywood — April 9, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

20. to Dave the punk-i dont remember them playing there however i remember the sidings well–did you know there is some sort of reunion at the trough on the afternoon of 19th sept 2010?..there are details on facebook apparently…all the best to you

Comment by steve hooper — August 9, 2010 @ 8:21 am

21. Brilliant to read all these comments about a band that lasted less than 4 years.I’m proud to have been a founder member.There is a new site for the band with a comprehensive history,photos and full gig list at
    http://www.dangerousgirls.co .uk

Comment by Rob Peters — December 1, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

22. http://www.dangerousgirls.co.uk

Comment by Rob Peters — December 1, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

23. A few live vids posted by Rob ….
    Cheers for the comments – nice to know the needle still hits the dust occasionally.
    The lin?
    It’s a boy meets girl world
    Keep you in a url world …

Comment by eric o'pokem — August 18, 2011 @ 8:30 pm